LAPEER FARMERS’ MARKET
RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR 2013
(Click here for a printable version)
FOR YOUR RECORDS:
DENISE BECKER/MARKET MASTER # (810) 882-8032
The Mission of the Lapeer Farmers’ Market is to connect the local community with the freshest, healthiest locally grown produce the area has to offer.
1. DAYS & DATES OF OPERATION: A. THE MARKET WILL BE OPEN WED., MAY 1-SAT., NOV. 2, 2013. Grand Opening events will be on Saturday, May 4th. The market is located in downtown Lapeer, on the Historic Courthouse Square. The address is: 286 W. Nepessing St. B. THE MARKET WILL OPERATE WEDNESDAY & SATURDAY OF EACH WEEK *Exception: We will move to an alternate site for Lapeer Days again this year. The date is Sat., August 17th. C. THE LAST DAY OF MARKET WILL BE NOVEMBER 2, 2013.
2. HOURS OF OPERATION: A. Set up time will be between 7:30am & 8:30am. B. Vendors should occupy their assigned stalls by 8:30am. Any stall not occupied by 8:30am may be rented to a daily vendor unless the Market Master is notified of a late arrival and arrangements are made in advance. Denise #(810) 882-8032 **Please program this number in your phone. C. ALL VENDORS ARE REQUIRED TO REMAIN AT THE MARKET AS LONG AS THEY HAVE PRODUCT AVAILABLE FOR SALE! (Market Master must be notified & arrangements made in advance, if a vendor must leave early) D. The Market closes at 3:00pm. All vendors must be out of the area by 5:00pm. Exception-When a special event will run later! E. Cancellation of the Market: This would be due to inclement weather, & is the call of the market master. Every effort will be made to NOT CANCELL the market. If you ever have a question about the weather on the morning of market, please call Denise at 810-882-8032.
3. STALL ASSIGNMENTS: A. Vendor stalls will be assigned by the Market Master. • SEASONAL STALLS: Are assigned by a combination of factors: Seniority, availability, requests, type of product sold, attendance and compatibility with other vendors. All decisions are made for the good of the market. • MONTHLY VENDORS: Will be assigned a space by what’s available. • DAILY VENDORS: Will be assigned their space daily. You will not be guaranteed a specific space!
B. A vendor cannot sublet their stall.
C. STALL SPACES: • TRUCK STALL: Truck stalls consist of a single parking space on Nepessing St., directly in front of the courthouse, and a 10x10 space on the sidewalk. If a truck stall is vacant, the space shall remain available for customer parking and shall not be used by other vendors, unless approved by the Market Master. • LAWN STALL: Lawn Stalls and/or space around the pavilion consist of a space measuring 10x10. AFTER UNLOADING, VENDORS ARE REQUIRED TO PARK THEIR CARS IN ONE OF THE BACK PARKING LOTS! • PAVILION STALL: Pavilion stalls consist of a 10x7 space. We have 8 spaces inside the pavilion. AFTER UNLOADING, VENDORS ARE REQUIRED TO PARK THEIR CARS IN ONE OF THE BACK PARKING LOTS! • EXCEPTION: There may be a special event where the Market Master may have to relocate a vendor/vendors. We will not relocate anyone unless absolutely necessary.
4. PRODUCTS: A. The Market reserves the right to reject a vendor application if, in the Market Master’s judgment, the goods and merchandise do not comply with the overall concept of the Market, or provide too much duplication of product. Decisions are made for the good of the market in its entirety. B. ITEMS SOLD WILL BE LIMITED TO: Flowers, Plants, Herbs & Herb Plants, Fruits, Vegetables, local Maple Syrup, local Honey & Honey Products, Eggs, Meats & Poultry (Subject to USDA Rules), locally made Cheese, Baked Goods from a Certified Store or Restaurant, Handmade Arts & Crafts and Antiques. No used or factory/manufactured made items may be sold as Arts & Crafts. Antiques/Collectibles are subject to review and acceptance by the Market Master.
C. COTTAGE FOOD LAW: All foods allowed under the 2010 Cottage Food Law MUST HAVE THE PROPER LABLEING TO BE SOLD AT THE MARKET. Visit the MDA site: www.michigan.gov/cottagefood or contact the market master for the foods allowed and the proper labeling instructions. Only foods listed and approved by the Michigan Dept. of AG will be allowed. D. Processed/Packaged/Value Added Foods must comply with the US Dept. of Agriculture Food Safety Regulations regarding food processing & handling. For more info, visit their website. E. Your application MUST LIST ALL ITEMS that you will be bringing to sell at the Market. Vendors cannot switch or add products for sale without prior approval of the Market Master. This includes items under the Cottage Food Law. You must include a copy of any licenses that you have with your application (Ex.: For selling meat, perennials etc.), unless already on file with the market master. F. All products are subject to review and acceptance by the Market Master. G. All produce items shall be of good quality. No over ripe or spoiled produce shall be offered for sale. No vendor will be allowed to “Dump”, (Sell at an extreme price. Example: $1.00 a doz. for corn), large quantities of any given product at the market. This is for the good of the vendors and market. H. Pricing is at the discretion of the vendor, but it is strongly recommended that vendor’s price products in consideration of other vendors at the Market and that prices be posted in full view of potential customers, with lettering clearly legible.
5. PRODUCT DISPLAY: A. SIGNAGE: All fruits and vegetables must be clearly marked with a sign stating price, and place of origin if not grown on your farm. All signs must be attached to vendor tables or display equipment. All signs should be in keeping with the character of the Market and be in good condition. B. Vendors must supply their own tables and canopies. C. Truck vendors must provide canopies, umbrellas or awnings, as required by the Health Department, to protect perishable produce. Vendors must provide anchorage for their canopies. For everyone’s safety, you must use sand bag and/or cement type weights when not able to stake to the ground. D. Vendors are encouraged to display their products in an attractive manner and in keeping with the character of the Market. E. Food items are to be displayed on a table or bench. Any food item placed on the sidewalk or pavilion floor must be enclosed in a container (Box, basket etc.) F. Vendor displays must not exceed the boundaries of their assigned stall. Pathways must be maintained on the sidewalk and throughout the pavilion. No obstacles may be placed on the sidewalk or pavilion aisle ways that could cause a pedestrian to fall.
G. Vendors must keep their stalls maintained in a clean and sanitary condition. All boxes, bags, containers and other large refuse must be removed by the vendor and shall not be left on site at the close of the day. Trash receptacles, maintained by the city, are meant for disposal of small articles of waste and are provided primarily for customers.
6. VENDOR PERFORMANCE: A. VENDORS WILL ACT IN A PROFESSIONAL AND COURTEOUS MANNER WITH CUSTOMERS, THE MARKET MASTER & OTHER VENDORS! B. A cooperative “team” spirit helps make our Market a success. Questions or criticism regarding another vendor’s product, display, pricing etc…, should be directed to the Market Manager. Open criticism or accusations to other vendors or customers is not acceptable, and may lead to suspension or dismissal from the Market. C. Smoking: In order to protect other vendors and our customers, since many people have allergies etc. to smoke, vendors that smoke need to do so away from the market booths. D. All vendors are subject to Federal, State & County laws, including those governing health, sanitation, sales tax, packaging, labeling. Weights and Measures. E. Failure to follow policies, regulations and decisions of the Farmers’ Market and the City and County of Lapeer, will result in immediate and permanent removal from the Market with no refund.
7. GRIEVANCE PROCEDURE: A. If a problem arises with the policies of the market, or with another vendor, a meeting will be arranged with the Market Master and affected vendor(s) to resolve the issue. B. If step “A” fails to resolve the issue, the decision of the Market Master is final.
THE MARKET MASTER HAS THE RIGHT TO AMEND THESE RULES & REGULATIONS IF NECESSARY!